Friday, May 20, 2011

Looking back and Looking forward.....

Term 1:
Last term was so cool. I was excited because it was a new year. Last term we had lots of new things, what we had to learn was awesome.

We had more classes in technology like Science and Electronics. At the moment I have been in both of the new classes and so far I find it really interesting.

We also have Taonga time, that is when we go to the other classes in the intermediate school and do some fun things. I was designing tiles with Mrs Nua. But sadly we did’nt finish. We went on trips in the local neighbourhood to look for some inspirations, the experience was great.

Last term we also had a softball tournament, the girls came 5th. That was my first time playing softball but we did well for our second time in the competition. The player of the day was Etta, she was a really good backstop and supporter.

Term 2:
This term we are learning about designing or making things Bigger , Better , Stronger, Faster. The topic is interesting so far. We have been going through the design processes of how to create a proper sign.

We have been practicing for the netball season , and this week we had our first grading game. The team I am in is Team 1, they had won their game and I was the player of the day for my team. The other Year 8 team, Team 2, won their game too and Ocean was the player of the day. I play a lot of netball this term as well. I really enjoy this sport!

I can’t wait for the rest of the term and know that there will be a lot of awesome things and a lot more fun.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Mouse Holder Challenge

We were given a challenge to make a box that could hold Mr Harris’s mouse it had to be bigger enough for his mouse it also had to open and close it with no glue to hold it together . We could choose to work as a team or by yourself. I decided to work as a pair with Reina. We were looking on the Internet to find some ideas to come up with for our box.

I remembered that Reina could make a really good box with a top and a bottom. We made a prototype to see if it could work. Then it worked out really well , so we made the box out of cardboard. We had to make the box so it could fit Mr Harris’s mouse. Once we did that we tested out the top of the box it was not tight enough so Reina did some miner adjustments.

I was not confident if was not going to work. So it tested it some more times. Finlay I was confident that it was going to work.

So Reina gave the box with the mouse in it Mr Harri’s raised his arm and then he drooped the box. It was a successes. I was filled with relief.

That challenge was awesome and I hope we could do it again.